Betting Companies in Gibraltar — List of the Best Sports Betting SitesPublished on 24 Jul 2020
Gibraltar is a picturesque place notable for its magnificent wildlife, rich history, friendly locals, and the legendary 426-meter high Rock that attracts thousands of tourists annually. Some people mistakenly consider Gibraltar as a part of Spain (the territory indeed belonged to the Spaniards till 1704), but in fact, it is an Overseas Territory of the UK. Gibraltar contributed to the online gambling industry a lot. It is a pioneer in the online sports betting legalization and a frontrunner in providing licenses to sportsbook operators. It is fair to say that Gibraltar has one of the most well-regulated online gambling sectors among EU countries.
When punters tend to try their luck with any of the Gibraltar betting companies, they can do it, knowing that the law protects their customer rights.
“When the online betting companies want to qualify for the GBGA license, they require passing a multi-level checking to prove their credibility and trustworthiness.”
Sure, not all bookies pass this ‘natural selection,’ as only the best ones can undergo the accreditation and receive the remote gambling license from the authorized body. However, such a strict control provides nothing but benefits for casual punters because it safeguards them from scammers and low-profile bookmakers.
Superbetting wants to enlighten the pros and cons, alongside the Rock’s gambling industry’s hidden pitfalls. Our expert team inspected the local online gambling market for everyone on the hunt for the first-class sports betting sites in Gibraltar. What bookmakers have the most lavish bonus offers and the fastest payouts? How to get free bets from bookies? Should bettors pay levies on their winning coins in Gibraltar? Join Superbetting to learn more about the gambling niche in the Overseas Territory. It will be exciting and informative!
Gibraltar gambling laws and regulations
Gibraltar can boast such well-organized gaming and betting sectors due to the perfectly designed rules and regulations for casino and sportsbook operators. Here are the most paramount aspects that cover the Rock’s online gambling sphere:
- According to the Gambling Act (set in 2005), online betting and casino companies can freely operate on the Overseas Territory. The primary rule for providers is accreditation with the remote gambling license from GBGA. The license is valid for five years, after which the companies pass another certification.
- Sports betting sites that hold a GBGA license can legally operate in the UK without a necessity to apply for the local UKGC license. The explanation is that the Rock’s Gambling Act is shaped by the British Act, meaning that Gibraltar-registered sportsbooks receive automatic approval from the UK regulatory body.
- The GBGA is on the list of the most reputable gaming authorities worldwide, alongside Malta and UK gaming commissions. The point nuances that the GBGA stands for are security and high-quality services for users.
- Though the official language in Gibraltar is English, the plethora of online sports betting providers offer customer support assistance in Spanish too. The lion’s share of the Rock’s residents speaks Spanish due to Gibraltar’s 200+ years as a part of the Spaniards’ territory.
- Gibraltar is currently not on the member list of the iconic Olympics, but the Rock’s athletes compete in the Commonwealth Games.
- The prominent British organization GVC that deals with betting and gaming businesses has a significant impact on the Overseas Territory. The matter is that many companies of the eminent UK Holding are located in Gibraltar. For the record, GVC owns such gambling industry giants as Ladbrokes Coral Group, Bwin, and Gamebookers. Such well-known casino brands as PartyPoker and CasinoClub are also members of the GVC Holding.
Sports betting companies worldwide pay levies to the national treasure, and Gibraltar bookies are not an exception. If companies operate under the Rock’s jurisdiction, they pay taxes to the government. Taxation laws in the Overseas Territory passed through significant changes after Gibraltar became a part of the UK.
The fee rate for local sportsbooks expanded from 5% to 15% on GGR after merging. In 2019, this rate grew to 21% for online bookmakers.
Companies have to provide official statements on their income annually. Moreover, the Gibraltar betting operators should present all tax bills to the GBGA licensing authority to renew their licenses.
The casual punters in Gibraltar don’t pay levies on their winnings on the betting sites. These funds don’t relate to the official income sources for the Overseas Territory residents. Some bookmakers may charge a specific fee rate from users, but Superbetting suggests changing an operator in this case. Punters should note that depending on a chosen withdrawal method, they may have to pay a levy (for instance, when selecting a bank transfer). The e-services are the most fruitful methods for withdrawals, considering a taxing policy. The essential rule for all bettors is checking whether bookmakers charge deposit fees before wagering on their websites.
Requirements for sportsbooks
Local sportsbooks have to obey the licensing authority’s strict requirements if they plan to stay in the Overseas Territory for long. First, the brands need to prove their reputation and credibility by verifying their stable financial position. It is a mandatory step for getting a license because the authorities must have evidence of the companies’ creditworthiness, i.e., they need to assure operators pose no financial risk for bettors. Thus, sportsbooks pass a multi-level screening process to get accreditation by the GBGA.
Another crucial requirement for Gibraltar betting sites is to provide accurate and in-detail information regarding their policy, current promotions, terms and conditions, and bonus campaigns in the open access on their official websites, alongside valid contact details. The same refers to advertising campaigns. When online gambling operators decide to promote their brands on third-party platforms, they should obey the ad requirements set by the GBGA.
Their promo campaigns should be transparent with precise details and without forbidden content.
In case the authority detects any signs of money laundering from sportsbook operators, the GBGA retains the right to pull out the bookie’s license.
Guide for the Gibraltar bettors: how to bet online safely
Despite the strict control and the GBGA regulations, a certain percentage of low-profile sportsbooks operate in parallel with licensed companies. Thus, amateurs risk bumping into the black bookies if they don’t know the vital signs to verify the brand’s transparency. Superbetting prepared a guide that can be of service to Gibraltar punters to bet on safe and reputable sites:
- License: The first thing that verifies a bookie’s transparency is the valid license. When the betting companies pass the GBGA accreditation, they prove their financial stability and high standard services. If punters pick up unlicensed providers, they risk not receiving their winning coins or waiting the eternity to pull out their funds.
- Reputation on the market: Due to the Internet boost, it’s getting easier for casual users to check the sportsbooks’ reputation by reading other bettors’ reviews. People on the Internet openly share their impressions about sportsbook operators to warn other users in case of their bad experience on a particular betting site. Some low-rank bookmakers purchase positive reviews, but still, they can’t hide the issues of unresolved disputes or manipulations with payouts if people speak about them out loud. Thus, trusted bookmakers put their good reputation in the first place not to lose their loyal audience.
- No pitfalls with fees: Gibraltar punters don’t pay levies on their deposits on the bookies’ sites. Their winning funds are also not taxable by the law. If a low-key bookmaker charges draconian fees from customers, it is vivid proof not to bet on this website.
- Clear bonus offers: It’s a widespread practice for online betting companies to enlarge their databases by lavish promo and bonus programs. As a rule, bookies offer first deposit bonuses for newbies, cashback and free bets for regular customers, and additional perks available by promo codes. However, experienced bettors realize that black-label companies often hide unreasonable wagering requirements for receiving the free bet bonus from bookies. Thus, Superbetting advises users to cross-check the bonus details written in small print accurately.
- Competitive odds: The way the bookies adjust the offered odds says a lot about their attitude to the loyal users. With the plethora of events in the sports universe, punters always have an excellent choice to place a lucrative bet. Reputable sportsbooks move the odds ahead of the events or amid the gameplay, allowing users to select the best betting strategy. Experts suggest shopping on different sites to find the ones with the most gainful odds proposition.
- Well-trained customer service: Renowned betting companies pay particular attention to training programs for their customer service agents. The help center reps should be qualified, polite, and able to quickly and correctly assist with customers’ issues. The good sign is when bookies allow users to reach the help center via live chat if they don’t want to wait 24 hours for the email reply. High-class sportsbook operators will never leave a customer’s request without a response.
- Transparent financial operations: Credible bookies offer several payment options for a user’s choice: bank transfers, e-services (Neteller, Skrill, etc.), card operations. Diversity of options allows punters to move funds most suitably. The leading operators also consider that seasoned bettors may require extended withdrawal limits and adjust this option for high rollers’ convenience.
The best sports betting sites in Gibraltar
- William Hill;
Seasoned bettors won’t be surprised to see such industry giants as William Hill and BetVictor on the list because the UK and Gibraltar’s betting markets have a lot in common. The Rock’s residents like these UK-based sportsbook companies for their excellent reputation, impressive content package, HD live streaming, and fantastic free bet bonuses and loyalty campaigns. Bwin and Betfair are also recognizable and beloved brands among the Gibraltar audience. They have great sports and esports collections, extra to alternative options, like weather bets. They always offer adjusted odds, especially on Football events and horse races. Sluggish payouts are not synonymous with these reputable brands. Fans of the en-route bets will appreciate the advanced mobile versions of each of these sites.
Gibraltar bettors also won’t stay indifferent to the rich content assortment offered by the industry gurus, bet365 and 1XBet.
New users may count on the generous first deposit perks from these operators. Hassle-free withdrawals and a plurality of payment methods will impress the most scrupulous users. The rich in-play section may stun all punters who are fond of LIVE wagering. Another unbeaten privilege that all these bookies have in common is their well-designed site layout and qualified customer support team. The Rock’s punters that hunt for credible and positive gamble experiences will not regret a single minute of spending on these online sportsbook platforms.
Sportsbooks with the best casinos in Gibraltar
- William Hill;
Many eminent sports betting companies offer gaming services on their online portals.
Gamblers in Gibraltar are known for their interest in casino games. Thus, the lion’s share of sportsbooks extends their product offers with thrilling and fascinating games in the self-titled casinos. Here, users may receive an unforgettable gaming experience, playing beloved card games, lotteries, and online slots. They can spend quality time in the well-designed virtual studious, playing live Poker.
Customers may visit the section with live-dealer games that numerous operators have lately integrated into their menu.
Live games possess flawless dynamics, while charming presenters and multi-level jackpots double the gamers’ thrill amid the gameplay. Moreover, new players receive a bonus from these casinos in the form of free spins. Gamblers may also participate in regular tournaments held by operators weekly or monthly. The companies traditionally reward the lucky winners with money prizes, gifts, and virtual coins.
Prevalent payment methods among Gibraltar bettors
The Rock’s punters prefer sportsbooks with a broader payment methods assortment. The dominant share of bookies allows users to move funds via card or bank transfers. As a rule, transactions occur within 3-5 days. In case punters look for a faster way to withdraw money, e-wallets may be a solution. Transactions via e-services are prompt (within 24 hours or less) and secure. The most popular e-wallets among Gibraltar bettors are Skrill and Neteller. The benefit of e-payments is that, unlike bank transfers, the financial operations don’t appear in the monthly statements. It is the most suitable option for users who wish to keep their gambling activity a low profile.
Popular sports to bet on in Gibraltar
Residents of the Overseas Territory have a vast assortment of well-liked sports for valuable bets.
Football bets top the rating by the users’ activity on the Gibraltar betting websites. The Rock has a controversial history, considering the country’s attempts to get membership in the iconic UEFA. The first attempt ended with failure in 2007 due to the Spaniards’ announcement to boycott all matches featuring the Rock’s team. The country received the long-desired membership only six years later. The Gibraltar bettors also show a significant interest in all FIFA events, the World Cup, and English Football League matches.
Cricket games also prevail by the Gibraltar bettors’ engagement (the Rock’s weather conditions are favorable for cricket events). The country’s national team holds the title of the 2-time winner of the European Cricket Championship.
Basketball and handball are the other two most demanded sports among local punters. Gibraltar is a member of the FIBA (International Basketball Federation) since 1985. The Rock’s basketball team regularly participates in the FIBA’s championship.
Other popular sports among locals are athletics, darts, volleyball, and martial arts. Though the Rock’s bettors less demand these sports, they still have great numbers, considering spectators’ activity. Gibraltar is rich in many blessed-with-talent athletes who always show fantastic results in the Island and Commonwealth Games. The Overseas Territory is not the Olympics’ member yet, but the local authorities don’t give up in their attempts to grant membership.
Prospects of online gambling in Gibraltar
The Rocks’ punters can enjoy a safe gambling and betting experience on a lawful basis on numerous online platforms that operate in the Overseas Territory.
Though the local authorities pose strict rules and regulations for domestic operators, it doesn’t affect the number of companies that tend to get a license by the GBGA.
On the contrary, the amount of local bookmakers keeps growing annually. One of the reasons why the percentage of domestic bookies grows is that licensed Gibraltar sportsbooks can openly provide their services to the UK residents. In case the authorized body won’t implement the unreasonably high taxation on bookmakers, Gibraltar has fantastic prospects for online gambling development.
Gibraltar is a favorable space for online gambling activities. Local punters have a vast choice of white-label sportsbook operators at any taste.
The strict control over the local bookmaker companies firsthand aims to safeguard bettors from the low-profile bookies.
The Rock’s licensing authority holds the status of the most reputable alongside Malta and the UK. Thus, sportsbooks with the GBGA license are notable for their outstanding reputation, financial stability, and customer-loyal approach to the local bettors. In case the Gibraltar punters need a piece of advice considering the high-ranked sportsbook sites in their vicinity, they can check Superbetting’s list of the most trusted and credible local betting providers. Our expert guide can be of service to the Rock’s residents that choose to gamble responsibly.
Yes! It is entirely legal since the introduction of the Gambling Act. Users can place online wagers on the local sportsbook sites that hold the GBGA license.
Sure! Punters from the UK can bet on the Rock’s sportsbook platforms legally. The rules for the UK bettors are the same as for the Gibraltar residents.
No. Casual bettors don’t pay fees on their winnings from bets. Taxation is mandatory only for the local bookmakers, but not users.
All sportsbook operators that Superbetting recommends to Gibraltar customers are credible, trusted, and license-checked.
Get bets with a yield of 100-700% delivered straight to your inbox!